Boyles Stove Centre Tralee

Tralee   066 7123454
Cork     021 2061899

Tralee   066 7123454
Cork    021 2061899

fb-white google plus

"Boyles Patio and Stove Centre, helping you create a home for all seasons..."

Here you will find answers to some of the questions we are most frequestly asked. If you have another question please get in touch

  • What is the best way to start a fire in my fireplace? +

    Morso has done a brilliant and easy to follow guide on how to do this so please click on the following link and follow the steps.

  • Can I get glass for my stove? +

    Check with your local dealer on availability of glass for older models. If this is not available you can take the glass or measurements to Windmill Glazing where they will make a suitable piece for your stove.

  • How can I eliminate the odour in my stove? +

    On new stoves, first determine what you are burning. You should only be using seasoned wood, smokeless coal (if it is a multifuel stove) or kindling. Firestarters can cause a smell. For seasoned fireplaces, what have you burned in the past? With new stoves it will take a few fires to eliminate any odours.

  • What size stove do I need? +

    In order to be sure that your stove runs efficiently and effectively, it is very important that it matches correctly the size of the space that it is heating. There is no point in installing a stove that has too large an output for the room, as you may end up having to open doors to let the excessive heat out of the room, or even maybe opening windows –or else running the stove at a lower temperature, which means it will be less efficient, and may soot up the glass or the chimney. Also there is no point in having too low an output for the room, as the room will never seem to be warm enough.

    A simple easy guide is to measure the area of your room (length by width by height in metres) to get the area in cubic metres in order to work out what size multi-fuel stove you need, You can use then our online multi-fuel stove calculator, or you may like to do the calculation yourself. As a guide, every 1kw will heat 14 cubic metres of space in a room with average insulation. Needless to say, if you have better than average insulation, then more space will be heated for every 1kW.

    REMEMBER: This is only a guide and may not be an accurate measurement of your heat requirement. Factors such as very high ceilings, number of windows or large open plan rooms do affect the calculation.

  • Can a stove heat my home? +

    Yes, you can install a boiler stove, and this can connect onto your heating system and act as a back or replacement for your current heating system. This can be assessed when we carry out your assessment.

  • How do I calculate what size boiler I need? +

    As in the case of stoves, it is important that boiler output matches your heat requirements, as a boiler that is either too large in output or too small will not run efficiently. If you are looking for a boiler, then ‘sizing’ the kilowatt output of this is a complicated calculation.To be sure that the boiler size is correct for the heat requirements of your home, we recommend a plumber to call out and assess.

  • What about insulation? +

    It cannot be stressed enough the importance of insulation. An investment in the insulation of your home is an investment in the environmental and economical efficiency of your home in the future. In short, spending extra money to insulate your home will save you money on fuel bills in the long term. At a minimum, insulation should be at current building regulation standards.

  • What does an outside air kit do, and do I need one? +

    An outside air kit provides additional combustion air to the stove that feeds the fire with oxygen from outside your home. This will help the performance on any stove installed in tightly-constructed or well-insulated homes. You will need one if you do not have or want a vent in the room where the stove is or if you have an air-tight or passive house.

  • Are there any grants available? +

    The SEAI is providing a grant towards the cost of insulating existing homes, called the Better Energy Homes Scheme and details can be found online. This scheme makes grants available for works to your home (which must have been built prior to 2006) including:

    • Attic insulation
    • Cavity wall insulation
    • Internal wall insulation – dry lining
    • External wall insulation
    • Heating controls with boiler upgrade (oil or gas)
    • Heating controls upgrade only
    • Solar heating
    • Better Energy Rating (BER)
    • Heating System:
      • Heating Controls with Boiler (Oil or Gas) Upgrade €700
      • Heating Controls Upgrade only €600
    • Building Energy Rating (BER) €50*

    *A BER must be undertaken after upgrading works are complete, and the SEAI will give €50 towards the cost of this.

  • Does it make a difference where I locate my stove? +

    For a stove you can locate it in any room in the house. However, you have to allow for the space it will occupy, the space the hearth will occupy, and critically where the flue will go (ideally a chimney or flue through an external wall). Remember that it will typically have a glass front, so you can put it in a living room or kitchen, and enjoy the fire.

  • How does a stove work? +

    how does a stove work

    Wood burns from the top down, and burns best sitting on a bed of ash, with it’s combustion air coming from the top. A wood burning stove needs two things to work efficiently.

    Firstly, it needs heat and so it will often be lined with firebricks, but also it is helped by sitting on a bed of ash, as the ash acts as an insulator, directing the heat upwards, into the fire.

    Secondly, it needs combustion air from the top, in the form of a good supply of oxygen. There are two types of air intake. Primary Air is the air usually taken in through a control at a low level at the front of the stove to maintain combustion. It is the best way to control a stove burning solid fuels, and is only needed to start a wood burning stove, as once the fire is burning well, it will not need primary air. This control can be adjusted to regulate the air coming into the firebox. Secondary air is a stream of warm air that ignites the unburnt gases, which is known as secondary combustion. This control is typically above the door or to the top of the front of the stove. Secondary air flows downwards along the glass giving a warm air film which helps to keep the glass from blackening. This is known as ‘airwash’. Once the fire is lit a wood burning stove works best by controlling air using the secondary air control.

  • What is the difference between a wood burning and multi-fuel stove? +

    A wood burning stove is specifically designed to burn wood in the most efficient way with the combustion air coming from above the firebed, so it burns from the top down. It have a fixed grate, with no ashpan as wood burns best on a bed of ashes. A multi-fuel stove on the other hand burns the fuel from the bottom up. These fuels can be either wood, anthracite, smokeless fuels or briquettes. It has a raised grade and a removable ashpan to collect ashes.

  • Can I burn multi-fuels in my wood burning stove? +

    No, wood burning stoves are designed to only burn wood. Most wood burning stoves will burn wood, wood briquettes and lignite. While you may burn wood in a multi-fuel stove, if the manufacturer allows for this. Arada stoves have an integral easy riddling system to switch between wood and multi-fuel.

  • What can I sit my stove on? +

    If you are replacing an existing open fire then you will already have a hearth or fireplace. Otherwise, you will need a constructional hearth of at least 125mm in height. There are building regulations which govern the ‘clearances’ needed around the stove, which would be taken into account when deciding the size of your hearth.

  • I have chimney already, can I use that? +

    It may be possible to use an existing chimney, but it is important that your chimney is inspected first, as it may need cleaning. We offer a chimney inspection and reporting service as well as chimney cleaning and chimney lining services.

    If it is clean and suitable, then we can just add a connector to the flue outlet at the back or top of stove and then attach a flexible flue liner to this which can be run up the chimney and place a cowl on top. This flue liner should be appropriately sized to the internal diameter of the flue outlet on the stove. We supply flexible flue liner in any lengths you require, in a variety of internal diameters. We can recommend the flue that is appropriate for you.

  • Do I need to do anything to change my chimney? +

    You must remember that the internal diameter of an existing chimney would be much larger than that required for the stove. All stoves have a certain sized outlet at either the top or the back of the stove. The typical diameters on this are 125mm and 150mm. As a chimney is much larger in diameter, in some cases it would give too much draught to the stove and would cause it to run inefficiently. Solid fuels and wood typically need a lot of draught.

  • What if I don't have a chimney already? +

    Then we will install a twin-walled flue system for you that will perfectly match the internal diameter of the stove outlet. Manufacturers typically recommend a suitable size flue for each stove outlet. To give accurate estimate of Twinwall pipe needed a call out is essential to measure heights etc.

  • What about the location of the flue/chimney? +

    We can recommend what is appropriate for your house/stove. According to current building regulations, a flue outlet must be located a minimum of 1.6 meters from a door or window.

    For a stove or boiler stove you have the option of either going up an existing chimney with flexible flue liner, or constructing a twin walled rigid flue that can go through the external wall. It’s important to keep in mind the proximity to a window or door of the top of this outlet, because of the current building regulations. It may be necessary as a result to take this erected flue up past the eave of the house.

  • Where will I store my fuel? +

    In short, in a dry enclosed area. This applies to all fuels. If you are going to be running a stove or small output boiler, then your garage or outside shed will be sufficient.

    We supply Ash Firewood.

    Secondly, you could purchase a coal bunker to store your ‘Stove coal’– this has to be smokeless coal.

  • Who will I get to fit my stove? +

    There are a lot of tradesmen fitting stoves nowadays, but make sure your installer is registered. For a list of registered installers you can check out


  • 1